Nature at Work
Root in Nature’s self-paced online Nature at Work course delves into the symbiotic relationship between human health, well-being and the natural world.
Guided by instructors Dr. Owen Wiseman and Alexis Ashworth, joined by guest speaker Emma Terrell, this course explores how elements of nature – from biophilic design to the simple presence of plants or natural light – can significantly enhance mental, physical and emotional health. The course also highlights the role of nature in boosting productivity, sparking creativity and fostering innovation.
Over a span of 1.5 hours, participants are provided with practical strategies to integrate these natural elements into their personal lives and professional spaces. Whether you’re an individual aiming to harness the healing power of nature or a team leader aspiring to cultivate a healthier, more collaborative environment for your team, this course offers valuable insights.
Join us and experience firsthand how a deeper connection with nature can elevate your well-being, enhance collaboration and drive peak performance.
$59 USD for students
Visit our FAQ section below for group pricing.
Approved by the Law Society of Ontario: This course contains 50 minutes of Professionalism Content (CPD)
We love hearing from you!
Module 1: Introduction to Nature’s Influence on Work
- Discuss the scientific research behind the positive impact of nature on well-being, productivity, and creativity
- Explore how our connection to nature can enhance our work experiences
- Review case studies of companies that have integrated nature into their work environments and witnessed notable improvements
Module 2: Biophilic Design & Nature Scenes
- Define biophilic design and its principles, including natural light, nature scenes, and natural materials
- Explore the impact of biophilic design strategies on our physiology
- Share practical strategies for implementing biophilic design, including incorporating plants, improving access to natural light, and designing spaces that mimic natural environments
Module 3: Green Spaces & Plants
- Explore the effect of potted plants in the office environment
- Providing guidance on how to create indoor green spaces to promote employee well-being and health
- Test your knowledge – is there such a thing as ‘too many’ plants? Do fake plants have the same effect as real plants?
Guest Speaker- Emma Terrell, The Urban Botanist on indoor plant care
Module 4: Nature-Inspired Practices at Home and Work
- Explore the long-lasting effects of outdoor exercise and forest walks on your health and wellbeing
- Review the health impacts of outdoor and indoor gardening as stress-reduction and health-boosting practices
- Learn how to practice mindfulness with plants and in nature
Module 5: Sustainability & Corporate Responsibility
- Discuss the importance of sustainability in the workplace and its impact on the environment
- Highlight the benefits of embracing sustainable practices, such as cost savings and improved brand reputation
- Showcase an example of a company that has successfully implemented sustainability initiatives, including energy-efficient practices, waste reduction strategies, and eco-friendly policies
Meet the Instructors
Dr. Owen Wiseman
As a dedicated member of ParkRx, Dr. Owen (he/him) is passionate about utilizing the burgeoning field of evidence supporting the therapeutic benefits of nature. His work as a public speaker and consultant enables him to guide corporations and organizations in integrating nature-focused principles into their workspace, investing in the health and wellbeing of their employees.
It’s this commitment that led to his recognition as Ottawa’s Best Health Educator of 2022 and 2023. With a keen interest in healthy aging and creating safe spaces for LGBTQ+ individuals, Dr. Owen is working diligently to bridge the gap for overlooked patients.
Beyond his role as a naturopathic doctor, Dr. Owen sits on numerous boards and committees and serves as a Director of the Advisory Board of the International Nature and Forest Therapy Alliance. Here, he assists stakeholders in incorporating nature-focused principles into their personal and professional lives, reconnecting them with the world around them, and developing programs with corporations and non-profits to boost the health of their teams.
Dr. Owen is helping Canadians get WISE about their health, promoting equitable access to nature therapy across North America, and inspiring people to forge a deeper connection with nature.
Alexis (she/her) is the passionate founder behind Root in Nature, a venture born out of her deep love for plants, gardening, and the therapeutic benefits they offer.
Holding a BComm in Finance and an MBA in International Development Management, Alexis brings a unique blend of business acumen and a passion for making a positive impact. With 11 years of experience as CEO of Habitat for Humanity in Ottawa and Halifax, Alexis was recognized for both business achievements and community involvement by being named one of Ottawa Business Journal’s Forty Under 40.
Alexis’ journey into horticulture began through her volunteer work with World Wide Opportunities on Organic Farms (WWOOF), where she discovered the profound connection between nature and well-being. Her dedication to horticultural therapy led her to study the Foundations of Horticultural Therapy and become an active member of the American and Canadian Horticultural Therapy Associations (AHTA & CHTA).
During weekends, you’ll find her tending to her fruit & vegetable gardens, cultivating food that her husband skillfully cooks and her two young daughters enjoy.
Guest speaker: The Urban Botanist
Emma Terrell, otherwise known as the The Urban Botanist, is passionate about reconnecting people with nature. She is dedicated to using the power of plants and nature to enhance indoor environments, lifestyle choices, health and mindset. She has spent the last eight years combining an academic background as a Biologist/Entomologist with her passion for educating to form The Urban Botanist. She provides her audience with honest, engaging and informative content. Her mission of connecting people with nature and living a more eco-friendly, sustainable life starts with growing green thumbs.
In Partnership With:
Yes! Groups of three or more people at the same organization receive a 20% discount code. We also have an enterprise discount of 30% off for groups of 20 or more. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org for details.
Yes! When you complete the course you will receive a certificate as a Nature at Work Ally.
Yes – we’re developing a Nature at Work experience that includes a nature-based activity in partnership with the Urban Botanist. It will be available in-person in Ottawa and virtual / live internationally. More coming soon! To be notified as soon as this becomes available, please contact us at email@example.com.
Our software (MemberPress) is only able to process one currency. Since the course is offered internationally, and the US dollar is widely recognized worldwide, we chose that currency and set the price at the US dollar equivalent of our intended Canadian price.
Yes, this course content is approved by the Law Society of Ontario and contains 50 minutes of Professionalism Content (CPD).
Best Ottawa Business (BOBS) Award Winner
Root in Nature is grateful to be selected as one of the Ventures working on the World’s To-Do List by Coralus Activators! We receive support from Activators, including funding, connections and relationships to grow our impact.